If you’re interested in applying to the HER House you will need to have your eligibility determined, submit an application, and schedule an interview with House residents. For prospective members interested in applying for Fall 2016 the deadline to submit your information for an eligibility determination is June 15, 2016. Applicants will hear back from the Vice President regarding their eligibility between June 29th and July 13th. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us!
If you apply to the House, your financial need will be analyzed by the Boston University Office of Residence Life. Since the House provides an alternative, low-cost solution to on-campus housing, any financial aid you currently receive for room and board will be adjusted by BU. However, any other financial- or merit-based assistance should not be adjusted or taken away. Please also be sure to read over the HER House 101 section of this website to get a better sense of the House and its residents.
Many students are required to live on-campus as part of their financial aid packages. The HER House is considered on-campus by the Office of Residence Life. If you receive conflicting information from the Office of Financial Aid, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grace Wingler, Class of 2017
HER House Vice President
- Be a full-time undergraduate woman
- No woman will be restricted from applying based on her race, religion, nationality, sexual orientation or special need
- Full-time, graduate women may apply for the position of House Director
- Hold at least a 2.0 GPA and be in good academic standing
- Be willing to commit herself to HER House ideals and community
- Be able to pay rent and additional activity fees each semester. Exact cost of rent changes each year, and is listed in the HER House Lifebook
- Demonstrate financial need.
Application Process for Prospective House Members
- As of the 2015-2016 school year, we have implemented a soft deadline system for applicants. Applicants must submit their name, graduation year, and BU ID number to email@example.com to request determination of their financial eligibility by a pre-determined Fall, Spring, or Summer deadline. Cases will be handled on an individual basis if an emergency arises and an applicant would like their eligibility determined before a deadline.
- Your information will be submitted to the BU Office of Residence Life; that office will determine your eligibility for living in the House. You will receive an email response from the HER Vice President letting you know where you stand in this process. (If you have been determined financially ineligible to apply to the House, we encourage you to resubmit your information the following year particularly if your or your family’s financial situation has changed.)
- If you are deemed financially eligible to apply to the House, you should then submit an application to the Office of Residence Life. Before an application can be processed, all portions should be completed and submitted together. Once ORL has processed your application, they will pass your application on to house members for them to review prior to an interview.
- At this point, the HER Vice President will contact you and set up an interview that is convenient for both house members and the interviewee.
- After your eligibility has been reviewed, your application has been submitted, and you have been interviewed, the HER Vice President will contact you within a week with a decision. At this point, if you have been accepted, you will be sent more information regarding your move-in.
The House Director must be a full-time graduate student woman attending Boston University. The term for the House Director is one year. The House Director is an honorary member of the House and is thus entitled to all privileges and holds the same responsibilities as a House officer.
In order to apply, prospective House Directors should submit an application to the Office of Residence Life. Please contact us with any questions.